Are you enrolled?
If you are not a current Atrial Fibrillation clinic patient and would like to learn more, please call Coastal Cardiology today at 805-782-8844 option 6. Enrolled clinic patients may reach us at the same number and send messages through our patient portal by clicking here (always remember to select your provider as the designated recipient of your message).
Atrial Fibrillation Reading & Resources
The American College of Cardiology’s patient education program, known as CardioSmart, has developed a series of condition-specific handouts. Select any of the titles below to view or print these handouts. Click here to learn more about CardioSmart. We have also provided some information from the Heart Rhythm Society and a handout developed by Coastal Cardiology providers.
- CardioSmart Atrial Fibrillation Handout
- CardioSmart Atrial Fibrillation and Bloodthinners Handout
- CardioSmart Atrial Fibrillation and Cardioversion Handout
- CardioSmart DASH Diet Handout
- CardioSmart Smoking Cessation Handout
- Heart Rhythm Society Electrophysiology Study Handout
- Heart Rhythm Society Sleep Apnea Handout
- Mediterranean Diet Handout
Atrial Fibrillation Sites & Links
For information on atrial fibrillation, related conditions and treatment options, not all information sources are created equally. The links below are accurate, scientifically-rigorous and verified sources.
- CardioSmart Atrial Fibrillation Site
- Heart Rhythm Society Atrial Fibrillation Site
- American Heart Association Atrial Fibrillation Site
Atrial Fibrillation & Stroke Risk
There is a connection between AFib and stroke risk. Speak with your healthcare team to learn more about your risk of stroke. Your physician may use a tool called the CHA2DS2-VASc to calculate the risk of stroke. This score, a number between 0-9, can help guide your treatment plan. CardioSmart, the patient education wing of the American College of Cardiology (ACC) has created a series of handouts to help explore the relationship between a diagnosis of AFib and stroke risk. Read, download or print the handouts by selecting below.
Different atrial fibrillation patients may choose varied treatment options. Not all treatment options are a fit for each person. Speak with your healthcare team to learn more about each of these treatment options