Preparing for the test:
Insulin-dependent Diabetic patients:
- Check blood sugars and adjust insulin according to blood sugar, as directed by your physician.
- On the day prior to the test, take only clear liquids (such as jello, broth, or apple juice) and your medications by mouth.
- A.M. appointments: Nothing by mouth except water and medications. Cut insulin dose in half.
- P.M. appointments: Clear liquids only until the time of the test. Adjust insulin to blood sugar levels, as the day prior.
Diabetics taking oral medications only:
- Follow directions as above. If you find that your blood sugar is low, increase your intake of juice or similar source of sugar.
- On the morning of your test, hold the morning dose of your diabetes medicine, and restart it after the test.
All other NON-diabetic patients:
- Only clear liquids (Jello, juices, water, broth) for a 24 hour period prior to the study. Patients with an afternoon appointment the following day may have a solid breakfast before 9 a.m.
- On the morning of the test, water and medications only.